Joely B.

Joely B.
Joel at 1 week old

Saturday, May 14, 2011

What's cute with yellow and green icing all over?

Today we had Joel's birthday party! There was a lot of hard work involved, mostly because I put off cleaning house until last night, but it was all so worth it. We were surrounded with our loved ones, which makes me feel so blessed. I love that Joel has people in his life that want to celebrate his life.
Today we welcomed Grandma Carol, Papa and Mackie, Oma and Opa, Great-Grandma Doris, Aunt Niccole, Grandpa David, Debbie Grandma, Uncle/Cousin Thomas, Aunt/Cousin Jessica, John and Lindsey. We all (I hope) had a great time visiting and playing pass Joel around. He was such a good boy just like he always is. I know he won't remember, but the first birthday is mostly for the parents I think. A day for me and Benny to say, look at our precious baby boy. He has given me the absolute best year of my life, so the least I can do is set aside a day to celebrate him. :) Man I love that kid more than words can say.
So everyone showed up around 11:00-ish. Joel had taken a nap in the morning, so he made it through most of the day before he crashed around 3:00. We had burgers, chips, appetizers, and the famous chocolate fountain made an appearance with all the yummy dipping items. Thanks Carol!
After lunch we opened presents. Joel got several little bike things in different themes- Buzz Light Year, Radio Flyer, and Winnie the Pooh. He always looks so proud of himself when he rides those things. Grandma Carol got him the coolest thing- a ball house with tunnels! I got inside it with him and I thought it was cool! I can remember being a kid and building forts out of sheets in the living room, I would have LOVED to have something like that. Lucky butt.
Our big present to Joel was a little climber thing with a slide. He has already learned how to use the foot holes to climb up the back, but then he just sits on the platform. He's not too keen on the slide just yet. Oh, and my dad got Joel an awesome swing. I pictured them getting a little plastic one with ropes to tie around a tree, but they got him an actual little kid bucket swing like you'd see at a playground! Awesome! That thing will last for years.
My favorite part of the day was the cake. As we brought in Joel's own little round cake with the candle lit and everyone singing his little face just lit up. Everyone was singing "Happy birthday" and I got the biggest lump in my throat. I think it was a combination of realizing this day had finally come and being a little overwhelmed with happiness. How lucky am I that I get to give my baby such a special day? I hope I can be there for a 100 more birthdays for Joel :)
It was a great day. I'm exhausted and I now know why many parents have parties at Chuck E Cheese and other places, but I really enjoyed having his party here. How in the world I will make it through when there are other kids and actual birthday activities involved I do not know. But I will, and I love every minute of it. Well maybe not the sweeping, mopping, and dusting, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment