Joely B.

Joely B.
Joel at 1 week old

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Poor Baby #2

Poor Henry...I'm sorry I haven't kept up with this blog with updates about you. Between taking care of you and keeping your big brother entertained, seems as if time to just sit down to type is few and far between. I'll try harder, promise. So what can I say about you sweet Henry... well first of all, you have been the BEST baby I have ever known. From the first night we spent together in the hospital, you are the easiest baby to take care of. You have always slept well through the night, only waking for feedings, and then going right back to sleep in my arms. We spent the first 6 weeks (probably more) on the couch in the living room at night. That sounds a lot worse than it is. It's a really comfortable couch :) Daddy was still working while I was home on maternity leave, so I stayed out there with you so he could sleep through the night. At first you slept on a little baby lounger pillow right next to me, this was when you wouldn't hardly move at all. Then you started sleeping on my chest or right next to me on the couch. I know they say this is not the best idea and you should sleep in your own bed. But we were fine and when you're that little and cozy it's hard to watch you be all alone in a crib. You were a little congested when you were really little, so from there you went to sleeping in your swing. It propped you up a bit, so it was easier for you to sleep through the night. I think it was around 4-5 months, maybe sooner, that you started sleeping completely through the night. You now sleep in your crib, which is in our bedroom. Joel has taken to sleeping in our bed, so while it doesn't make for the most comfortable sleeping conditions- I kind of love that we're all there in the same room while we sleep. Right now you're a little over 8 months old. You love to go, go, go when you are awake. The only time you really settle down and let me hold you is when you're having a bottle. Otherwise, you want to crawl, pull up, explore... Everything goes into your mouth. EVERYTHING. The hardest thing has been keeping Joel's little toys off the ground so that you don't choke on them. Because you really only like to play with his toys, not the baby toys we have for you. And so it begins... :) The only time you cry is when you are hungry and I am not fast enough with your food. When you get tired you'll rub your eyes and whimper a little. I'll put you in your swing for a nap and down you go. See what I mean? Easiest baby. You have never had a long, drawn out bout of crying like most little babies do. There has never been a time I felt helpless like I didn't know how to make you feel better. I'm telling you, best baby ever. You seem to look like Joel, but you two don't have the same eyes. I think your eyes will end up looking more like mine. You are a chunker. Big boy all around. You're head is especially big, but not in a looks-weird kind of way. It's just something us Del Castillos have- big heads :) You're starting at a new daycare school in a couple weeks. I am so anxious about it because I want whoever you spend your days with to love you like I do. I love my job as a teacher, but it is hard knowing I spend so many hours away from you and your brother each week. Luckily we have so much time together during the summer and over holidays- I feel like I get to know you boys all over again during those vacations. Speaking of vacation- we went on our first (with you) real vacation, although it was short, this summer. We spend a few days in Galveston. You did really well at the beach. I sat with you in the shallowest part of the water, and of course, you just tried to shovel muddy sand into your mouth. We brought the playpen and set that up so you could have a sand-free place to hang out. You really loved the pool at the hotel the best. You even made some friends- little kids in the pool came over and wanted to talk and play with you because you were being so cute splashing and squealing. So it looks like you'll be walking by your first birthday- you already love to pull up and try to stand on your own as much as you can. I'll make sure to stay up to date on your new milestones as you hit them. I love you sweet baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment